Current Android & iOS smartphones on sale now for less than $250
Arlen Holder
2020-04-18 20:53:29 UTC
*Current Android & iOS smartphones on sale now for less than $250*

With the advent of Apple's recent iPhone SE foray into the budget phone
arena, and keeping in mind we just barely _missed_ the chance to buy the
Verizon 64 GB Moto G7 for $50 (apparently on sale late last month!)....

It would be nice if we maintain a thread where people proactively helpfully
inform others of good deals that are on the net for the major carriers.
<https://www.cnet.com/reviews/motorola-moto-g7-review/>

If you know of a smartphone sale for less than $250, please let folks know.
Anyone can pay too much for a phone... it takes brains to pay too little.
Arlen Holder
2020-04-20 03:47:15 UTC
Post by Arlen Holder
If you know of a smartphone sale for less than $250, please let folks know.
UPDATE:
o *2020 iPhone SE is $200 at Walmart (Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint)*

I'm still aching that I didn't know about the $50 Verizon 64GB Moto G7 just
a week ago where I would have bought a half dozen for my Verizon relatives.

To further the goal of this purposefully helpful thread, I found this:
o *New iPhone SE 2020 deal drops price to just $199*
<https://www.tomsguide.com/news/hurry-new-iphone-se-2020-deal-drops-price-to-just-dollar199>
"Walmart has the iPhone SE 2020 on sale for $199.
That's a generous $200 off and the best iPhone SE 2020 discount
we've seen. The offer requires activation and an installment plan
with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon. This is likely the best iPhone SE
deal we'll see till Amazon Prime Day. "

This is the Walmart link:
o <https://www.walmart.com/cp/apple-iphone-announce/5929654>
There are 2 types of people on Usenet where only 1 is purposefully helpful.
Arlen Holder
2020-04-25 02:17:15 UTC
UPDATE (dateline today)
*The 2nd-gen 2020 iPhone SE is $184 today...*

See these screenshots taken at Pacific times (since such things change fast):
o <Loading Image...>
o <Loading Image...>
o <Loading Image...>

The iPhone SE is $184 today (assuming you count the credit-card $200)
where the catch is that it's service on a carrier called "Visible",
who (the article says) uses Verizon's network:
o *Hurry! Amazing iPhone SE deal is just $184 right now*
<https://www.tomsguide.com/news/hurry-amazing-iphone-se-deal-is-just-dollar184-right-now>

Here is the verbatim quote on Tom's Guide:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/0QH4C7HQ/visible01.jpg>
"The iPhone SE is already one of the best cheap phones around at $399,
but right now you can get over $200 off in the best iPhone SE deal we've
seen yet. Visible, a wireless carrier that runs on Verizon's network,
is selling the iPhone SE for over $200 off. The list price is $384,
which is $15 off to start. But you can get a $200 MasterCard credit
on top of that, which means you're ostensibly paying $184 for the device.

Apple iPhone SE (2020): was $399 now $184 @ Visible Get the iPhone SE
with a $200 MasterCard credit you can use for online purchases,
which is a great deal for the iPhone SE. All you need to do is pay
for two months of service."

"The only catch is that you have to pay for two months of service.
After that, you could decide to take the new iPhone SE to another carrier.

So how good is Visible itself? The $40 unlimited monthly plan included
with the phone is very affordable and all taxes and fees are included."

And this is apparently the link to the deal:
<https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphones/iphone-se>

Here is a screenshot (since these things change quickly)...
o <https://i.postimg.cc/fRfDfg7R/visible02.jpg>

And this is apparently the fine print on the $200...
"Get up to a $200 Prepaid Mastercard Virtual Account when you buy an
eligible device from us and pay for two months of service.*
Here are the deets. Buy an eligible device from us, pay for your
first two months of service, and you'll get a Prepaid Mastercard
Virtual Account sent to you via email. Purchase a device over $400
and you'll get a $200 Prepaid Mastercard Virtual Account.
The Apple iPhone SE is also eligible for the $200 Prepaid Mastercard
Virtual Account. Purchase a device under $400, but still more than $50,
and you'll receive a $100 Prepaid Mastercard Virtual Account*.
Certain Samsung devices are not eligible. Already have a phone you love?
No problem. If it's compatible with Visible, just activate it,
pay for two months of service, and we'll email you a $100 Prepaid Mastercard
Virtual Account too."

"Some restrictions apply.
See offer details, <https://www.visible.com/promos/get200>"
o <https://i.postimg.cc/VLj8zHVW/visible03.jpg>

"Promotional Prepaid Mastercard Disclosure: Virtual account is issued by MetaBank
Member FDIC, pursuant to license by Mastercard International Incorporated.
Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark
of Mastercard International Incorporated. No cash access or recurring payments.
Virtual account valid for up to 12 months; unused funds will forfeit
after the valid thru date. Virtual account terms and conditions apply."
The key question is whether Visiable is any good (any any CC issues).
Arlen Holder
2020-04-25 07:55:54 UTC
I don't know if "Visible" is a good carrier or not, but here is the fine
print of that recent deal on the new 2020 2nd-gen iPhone SE for $184...

Restrictions apply. Not available in all areas.
Xfinity Mobile requires residential post-pay Xfinity Internet.
Savings comparison to the weighted average prices of similar Verizon,
AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint plans. Actual savings vary and are not
guaranteed.

Offer ends 5/17/20.
Requires purchase of a new iPhone SE (64GB) while supplies last,
24 month Xfinity Mobile Device Payment Plan Agreement ("Device
Agreement"), activation of new Xfinity Mobile line and transfer of phone
number from another carrier within 30 days of phone purchase date.

Device credits applied monthly to your account over 24 months so long
as Device Agreement is in effect.

Taxes and fees, including regulatory recovery fees and other charges
extra, and subject to change. If line is canceled, voluntarily or
involuntarily or device payments are accelerated, balance of credits
associated with device payment are forfeited. May not be combined with
other offers. Not valid with prior purchases, returns or exchanges.

The question is whether anyone has experience with Visible for a customer
that is already on Verizon and who is not going to like it if the coverage
isn't the same.
The hard part about helping others is you have to think like they do.
Arlen Holder
2020-04-25 09:25:24 UTC
UPDATE:
o iPhone SE 64GB, price = "free"

Costco is giving deals on the new 2nd-gen 2020 iPhone SE where you can get
a 64GB model "for free" if you do two things (apparently):
a. Add a line on T-Mobile, and
b. Trade in an older iPhone

Or, you can get it for ~half price if you do just one of those two things.

Details here:
o iPhone SE launches today, Costco rolls out deal for T-Mobile customers
<https://www.tmonews.com/2020/04/iphone-se-launch-today-costco-deal-t-mobile-customers/>

Otherwise, this is T-Mobile's pricing for "full retail" on the iPhone SE:
o 64GB: $0.00 down and $16.67 per month for 24 months, $399.99 full retail
o 128GB: $49.99 down and $16.67 per month, $449.99 full retail
o 256GB: $149.99 down and $16.67 per month, $549.99 full retail
Arlen Holder
2020-04-26 22:41:53 UTC
Dateline this week...

o Moto G7 Power (MSRP $250) camera output compared to the Pixel 3a XL
<https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/moto-g-power>

While you can likely get it for far less than the $250 MSRPP
these are some of its notable features, based on that article:
o 64GB storage + 512GB sdcard
o 5,000 mAh battery (you heard that right - a whopping 5 amp hours!)
o Android 10 with almost no OEM additions (thank God for stock Android!)
o Display: 6.4-inch LCD (2300 x 1080) they said it looks "almost OLED"
o CPU: Snapdragon 665, 8 cores, up to 2.0GHz, etc.
o Headphone jack: Thank God it has this modern basic functionality!
o Charging cable: Standard USB-C like God always intended cables to be.
o Dual speakers, rear fingerprint sensor where it belongs, nanoSIM, etc.

That article has side-by-side photo comparisons using the main 16MP camera
with an f 1.7 aperture, plus an 8MP augmentation with 118 degree FOV, plus
a 2MP macro camera, Google Lens integration included.

It also has a 16MP f2.0 front camera.
Note: Outside the US it's often called the "moto g8 power" instead.
Arlen Holder
2020-05-04 15:40:53 UTC
There is always a sale on smartphones...

... e.g., on Christmas Eve 2017, I bought a handful of Costco $130 32-GB
8-core LG Stylo 3 Plus's as stocking stuffers, and on Black Friday 2019 I
bought a bunch of $100 64GB 8-core Motorola Moto G7s on sale to replace
some of them two years later (prices always go down & performance goes up).

However... I don't know if we should include "tradeins" for this thread,
where the $400 unlocked Samsung Galaxy A51 can be had for (ALA) $230
(at least according to this article published today)
o *Samsung's midrange Galaxy A51 is now available unlocked*
<https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/4/21246194/samsung-galaxy-a51-unlocked-usa-price-specs-features-free-buds-amazon>

"Free from carrier bloatware"

"The Galaxy A51 is part of Samsung's popular midrange A-series.
It's got a 6.5-inch OLED display with a hole-punch notch, four rear
cameras (including a main 48-megapixel camera), a 4,000mAh battery,
and a headphone jack. Although there's a 5G version of the phone
on the way later this summer, for now, this is the 4G LTE version.

You have a couple of options if you don't want to pay the full retail
price of the phone upfront. You can trade in an eligible device to get
the phone for as little as $229.99 or finance it over 24 monthly
payments with 0 percent interest on Samsung.com."

To see what you can trade in for a discount off of Samsung's A51 MSRPP:
<https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-a/buy/?link=galaxy-a51>

Apple
o iPhone X = $220
o iPhone 8 = $130
o iPhone 7 Plus = $120
o iPhone 7 = $90
o iPhone 6S Plus = $55
o iPhone 6S = $55

Google
o Pixel 3 = $160
o Pixel 3a XL = $160
o Pixel 3a = $130

Samsung
o Galaxy Note 9 = $220
o Galaxy S9 Plus = $170
o Galaxy Note 8 = $140
o Galaxy S9 = $130
o Galaxy S8+ = $120
o Galaxy S8 = $90
o Galaxy S8 Active = $60
o Galaxy S7 edge = $55
o Galaxy S7 = $55
o Galaxy S7 Active = $55
etc.

I'm not sure though we should include tradeins in this thread, if only
because that complicates the numbers in a general purpose sense.
--
Adults gather on Usenet to politely learn via public technical discussion.