Apple Pay
Your Name
2014-09-10 01:52:52 UTC
Looks like people who steal credit cards are going to have an even
easier job - they won't even need to take the card itself, just a quick
photo of it will do ...

Users can add credit cards to Apple Pay by taking a photo
of their card.

"Setup involves either granting Apple Pay access
to whatever existing credit card you have on
file with iTunes or adding a second card: you
can do that by taking a photo of the card
itself. We've seen the same system used in
Uber's app, among others, and generally it does
a solid job of recognizing characters."
Jolly Roger
2014-09-10 02:01:25 UTC
Post by Your Name
Looks like people who steal credit cards are going to have an even
easier job - they won't even need to take the card itself, just a quick
photo of it will do ...
Users can add credit cards to Apple Pay by taking a photo
of their card.
"Setup involves either granting Apple Pay access
to whatever existing credit card you have on
file with iTunes or adding a second card: you
can do that by taking a photo of the card
itself. We've seen the same system used in
Uber's app, among others, and generally it does
a solid job of recognizing characters."
Seriously? *That's* what you took away from it? *smh*

JR
jackson
2014-09-10 02:14:01 UTC
Post by Your Name
Looks like people who steal credit cards are going to have an even
easier job - they won't even need to take the card itself, just a quick
photo of it will do ...
Users can add credit cards to Apple Pay by taking a photo
of their card.
"Setup involves either granting Apple Pay access
to whatever existing credit card you have on
file with iTunes or adding a second card: you
can do that by taking a photo of the card
itself. We've seen the same system used in
Uber's app, among others, and generally it does
a solid job of recognizing characters."
The presentation says that you have to take it to your
bank to prove that its your card before it can be added.
nospam
2014-09-10 02:29:45 UTC
Post by jackson
The presentation says that you have to take it to your
bank to prove that its your card before it can be added.
where did they say that?

they did say you just take a photo of the card to add it, presumably
with some sort of validation, otherwise people could have a field day
with photoshopping card photos.
jackson
2014-09-10 02:38:26 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by jackson
The presentation says that you have to take it to your
bank to prove that its your card before it can be added.
where did they say that?
Just after saying that bit about the photo.
Post by nospam
they did say you just take a photo of the card to add it,
For the phone to get the details off the photo so you
don't have to type them in manually, quite a good idea.
Post by nospam
presumably with some sort of validation,
That's where they said you had to go to the bank
to have the bank validate that it is your card.
Yeah, they aren't stupid enough to just have the photo.
nospam
2014-09-10 02:43:36 UTC
Post by jackson
Post by nospam
Post by jackson
The presentation says that you have to take it to your
bank to prove that its your card before it can be added.
where did they say that?
Just after saying that bit about the photo.
specifically what did they say?
do you have a link or timecode?
Post by jackson
Post by nospam
they did say you just take a photo of the card to add it,
For the phone to get the details off the photo so you
don't have to type them in manually, quite a good idea.
it makes it much easier to add cards and eliminates typos.
Post by jackson
Post by nospam
presumably with some sort of validation,
That's where they said you had to go to the bank
to have the bank validate that it is your card.
there isn't always a bank to go to.

for instance, there isn't anywhere to go for capital one or american
express and the others may not have a local branch.
jackson
2014-09-10 03:00:20 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by jackson
Post by nospam
Post by jackson
The presentation says that you have to take it to your
bank to prove that its your card before it can be added.
where did they say that?
Just after saying that bit about the photo.
specifically what did they say?
Some comment about going to the bank, which
caused me to groan, too primitive for me.
Post by nospam
do you have a link or time code?
Fraid not. What I was watching the last bit of the live feed
on doesn't work anymore and the full thing isnt visible to
me at all yet.
Post by nospam
Post by jackson
Post by nospam
they did say you just take a photo of the card to add it,
For the phone to get the details off the photo so you
don't have to type them in manually, quite a good idea.
it makes it much easier to add cards and eliminates typos.
Yeah, good idea. They did also say that the card you
already have setup to do the app store purchases
with would be used by default, but that other cards
could be added that way.
Post by nospam
Post by jackson
Post by nospam
presumably with some sort of validation,
That's where they said you had to go to the bank
to have the bank validate that it is your card.
there isn't always a bank to go to.
Yeah, only one of mine has a physical branch
in my town and some of them don't have any
physical branches at all, anywhere.

But you can still open an account with those
using some form of proof of identity, usually
at the local post office, but sometimes entirely
online.
Post by nospam
for instance, there isn't anywhere to go for capital one or
american express and the others may not have a local branch.
Yeah, that's the other reason I groaned when I heard him say that.

Presumably he didn't intend to cover all the possibilities.

You don't have to do anything like that when setting up
your iphone and that card will be used by the payments
system initially, with others able to be added.

Presumably the apple site will spell out the detail eventually.
JF Mezei
2014-09-10 03:06:38 UTC
Post by jackson
Some comment about going to the bank, which
caused me to groan, too primitive for me.
If you go to your bank with your credit card, what is the bank to do ?
Have the bank manager take a selfie with you and send it to Apple ? Not !

The only thing I could think of is that perhaps banks have to add a flag
to your credit card to enable those types of transactions and possibly
set a purchasing limit.

(in canada a purchase above certauin amount can be done with paywave and
you have to use chip/pin.)

Quite possible that such an operation could be done over the phone.
jackson
2014-09-10 03:17:23 UTC
Post by JF Mezei
Post by jackson
Some comment about going to the bank, which
caused me to groan, too primitive for me.
If you go to your bank with your credit card, what is the bank to do ?
Presumably get you to answer the security questions they
have on file for you and supply the PIN or something.
Post by JF Mezei
Have the bank manager take a selfie with you and send it to Apple ? Not !
That would kill too many phones with the average bank manager, silly.
Post by JF Mezei
The only thing I could think of is that perhaps banks have to add a flag
to your credit card to enable those types of transactions and possibly
set a purchasing limit.
Trouble with that line is that he did say that it would use
the card you use for your app store purchases by default
and that photo thing was only for adding extra cards.
Post by JF Mezei
(in canada a purchase above certauin amount can be
done with paywave and you have to use chip/pin.)
Yeah, same system here in Australia. And when
you want to get cash from the self checkouts too.
Post by JF Mezei
Quite possible that such an operation could be done over the phone.
We can do all that stuff using online banking
in fact the bank which pays the best interest
rates on savings, actively discourages you
from ringing them and says quite explicitly
on their web site that if you don't like that,
maybe they aren't the bank for you.
nospam
2014-09-10 03:33:31 UTC
Post by jackson
Post by JF Mezei
Post by jackson
Some comment about going to the bank, which
caused me to groan, too primitive for me.
If you go to your bank with your credit card, what is the bank to do ?
Presumably get you to answer the security questions they
have on file for you and supply the PIN or something.
that can be done on the phone.

it's likely the same validation process would be as if you logged into
their web site for the first time.
jackson
2014-09-10 04:46:42 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by jackson
Post by JF Mezei
Post by jackson
Some comment about going to the bank, which
caused me to groan, too primitive for me.
If you go to your bank with your credit card, what is the bank to do ?
Presumably get you to answer the security questions they
have on file for you and supply the PIN or something.
that can be done on the phone.
Doesn't explain why the bank was explicitly mentioned.

Maybe because they want to avoid the situation where
both the phone and the cards are stolen at the same time.
nospam
2014-09-10 04:49:19 UTC
which is why there would be a validation process.
Jolly Roger
2014-09-10 06:19:27 UTC
Post by jackson
Post by nospam
Post by jackson
Post by nospam
it's likely the same validation process would be as
if you logged into their web site for the first time.
Doesn't explain why the bank was explicitly mentioned.
I'm pretty sure I know the portion of the event you are talking about,
and I think you misheard. As I recall, they didn't say *you* have to
*physically* go to the bank. Rather they said something to the effect of
"when you add a card, we contact the bank to verify it's really your
card". What I got out of it is that when you add a credit card, Apple
will contact the bank for that credit card, probably over a network
connection, and verify that the card you scanned is in fact your card.
The process is probably fairly quick - certainly faster than getting in
your car, or making a voice phone call to do it.

JR
nospam
2014-09-10 06:27:28 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger