editing photo filenames
Add Reply
badgolferman
2024-04-29 13:49:33 UTC
Is there a way to edit the photo filename while still on the iPhone? When
sending someone pictures it would be helpful to have a descriptive name
than a generic date/time name.
Chris
2024-04-29 16:57:54 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Is there a way to edit the photo filename while still on the iPhone? When
sending someone pictures it would be helpful to have a descriptive name
than a generic date/time name.
Yes. Save it to Files which will prompt you for file name. Then you can
share it from directly from Files.
badgolferman
Thank you for the work around option.
*Hemidactylus*
2024-04-29 19:32:46 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by badgolferman
Is there a way to edit the photo filename while still on the iPhone? When
sending someone pictures it would be helpful to have a descriptive name
than a generic date/time name.
Yes. Save it to Files which will prompt you for file name. Then you can
share it from directly from Files.
You might want to save it to Files to begin with to convert it out of
incompatible HEIC if your camera is still defaulted to that PITA.
Chris
That can be controlled when sharing photos.
Andrew
2024-04-30 03:08:06 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Is there a way to edit the photo filename while still on the iPhone? When
sending someone pictures it would be helpful to have a descriptive name
than a generic date/time name.
I see you were able to find a workaround to the ancient naming conventions
from a decades ago that Apple still uses when saving to the file system.

To help you (and others) understand how iOS works, below are three screenshots
I just made for you (for this thread) - the 1st being for an iPad, the 2nd
for an iPhone, & the 3rd for an Android device (connected by USB to Windows).

1. This is my screenshot showing how one of my iPads stores photos:
This PC > Apple iPad > Internal Storage > DCIM > 202303_ > IMG_2753_AAE
This PC > Apple iPad > Internal Storage > DCIM > 202303_ > IMG_2753_PNG
This PC > Apple iPad > Internal Storage > DCIM > 202303_ > IMG_E2753.JPG

2. This is my screenshot showing how one of my iPhones stores photos:
This PC > Apple iPhone > Internal Storage > DCIM > 100APPLE > IMG0053.JPG

3. This is my screenshot showing how one of my Androids stores photos:
This PC > Galaxy A32 5G > SD1 > DCIM > Camera > 20240428_083005.jpg

Note: Android camera apps usually have customizable settings which
determine what the file name will be (these are Samsung defaults).
Also note Android typically saves the images to the portable
memory card which, unfortunately, no iOS device is capable of doing.

Also note the Android file system for DCIM is read and write.
The iOS file system for DCIM is read only (and extremely limited).

Which of the DCIM file systems do you think is better engineered for users?
badgolferman
2024-04-30 12:22:13 UTC
Post by Andrew
Which of the DCIM file systems do you think is better engineered for users?
As far as I'm concerned, Windows is by far the most user-friendly
operating system. They tried porting that over to the Windows Phone
but unfortunately it didn't work out. Incidentally, my wife had a
Windows Phone and she loved it.
Andrew
2024-04-30 18:04:06 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Andrew
Which of the DCIM file systems do you think is better engineered for users?
As far as I'm concerned, Windows is by far the most user-friendly
operating system. They tried porting that over to the Windows Phone
but unfortunately it didn't work out. Incidentally, my wife had a
Windows Phone and she loved it.
Windows is user friendly to me also, and far more so than Linux is, but
that may simply be that I've been using both for a few decades now.

As for the Windows phone, I never owned one, but I did have all the phones
prior, such as the pull-out-antenna flip phones and the button dial phones
and the Kyocera "smart" phones and the blackberry before I bought my first
iPads, iPhones, tablets and Android phones.

Android has many open source apps for taking photos which are superior to
anything Apple can offer because Apple limits you to one design team.

That Apple limits users to the way a single design team operates is
probably one of teh major reasons Apple is still using decades-old
technology and naming conventions for their camera apps.

Literally, Apple is using the technology that SLRs used when they first
went digital decades agao - and Apple never bothered to improve that.

This is why you see in my screenshots an arcane primitive naming
conventions of absurdly named Apple101 folders and IMG_2753_PNG files.

<https://i.postimg.cc/RVdVKS8q/Apple-Ipad.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/PJ4hWyS0/Apple-Iphone.jpg>

When you compare Apple's absurdly primitive naming conventions, you realize
instantly the pitfalls and foibles of entrusting everything to a single
design team which doesn't have any internal competition.

Had Apple users been allowed the luxury of competition in camera apps, the
ridiculously primitive ancient naming conventions would be gone long ago.

Had there been camera-app competition, you could name your photos any way
you'd like to name them, such as how Samsung names then out of the box.

<https://i.postimg.cc/zfgrt8dC/Samsung.jpg>]

By default, Samsung names the files by the date and the time.
20240428_083005.jpg (taken at 8:30:05am on April 28, 2024)

What do you think about my observation that because there is no competition
for Apple camera apps, and because there is intense competition for Android
camera apps (such as the Google GCam camera app), the Apple camera apps are
twenty years behind Android in basic functionality?

To further show how the Apple camera app is decades behind Android in
functionality, just look at what the free ad free open source apps do.
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencamera/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.sourceforge.opencamera/>

Features
Option to auto-level so your pictures are perfectly level no matter what.
Expose your camera's functionality: support for scene modes,
color effects, white balance, ISO, exposure compensation/lock,
selfie with "screen flash", HD video and more.
Handy remote controls: timer (with optional voice countdown),
auto-repeat mode (with configurable delay).
Option to take photo remotely by making a noise.
Configurable volume keys and user interface.
Upside-down preview option for use with attachable lenses.
Overlay a choice of grids and crop guides.
Optional GPS location tagging (geotagging) of photos and videos;
for photos this includes compass direction
(GPSImgDirection, GPSImgDirectionRef).
Apply date and timestamp, location coordinates, and custom text
to photos; store date/time and location as video subtitles (.SRT).
Option to remove device exif metadata from photos.
Panorama, including for front camera.
Support for HDR (with auto-alignment and ghost removal)
and Exposure Bracketing.
Support for Camera2 API: manual controls (with optional focus assist);
burst mode; RAW (DNG) files; camera vendor extensions; slow motion video;
log profile video.
Noise reduction (including low light night mode) and Dynamic range
optimisation modes.
Options for on-screen histogram, zebra stripes, focus peaking.
Focus bracketing mode.
Completely free, and no ads in the app.
Open Source.

If there was competition in Apple camera apps, then the Apple design team
who is probably not even a single person anymore, would have pressure on
them to make the ridiculously primitive Apple camera app better.

What do you think of my argument (see above) that with competition (for
Android camera apps), the consumers get better functionality in the end.

And what do you think of my argument that, since there isn't any
competition for the Apple camera app, that Apple camera app ends up being
absurdly primitive in its almost complete lack of modern functionality.

The consumer is the loser.
badgolferman
2024-04-30 18:37:44 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by badgolferman
Post by Andrew
[...]
I don’t disagree that more options are always better, but I’d have to wait
and see the rebuttals from Alan, Alan Browne, Jolly Roger, Hemidactylus,
Jorge Lorenz, Your Name before I can make an informed decision. They say
Apple “just works” and since I don’t know how to make it work the way I
want then maybe they have a better idea.
Chris
2024-04-30 20:30:50 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Andrew
Which of the DCIM file systems do you think is better engineered for users?
As far as I'm concerned, Windows is by far the most user-friendly
operating system.
That's just habituation. Show any OS to a novice user and they'll struggle
for a while.

I'm comfortable in macOS, Windows and linux. My first PC was windows 3.1
and I used Windows until Win98. I then jumped to linux for several years
(work and home) and now am mac at work since ~2010 and windows 10 since
2018. I'd say macOS is more user friendly than windows.
Your Name
2024-04-30 21:55:43 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Andrew
Which of the DCIM file systems do you think is better engineered for users?
As far as I'm concerned, Windows is by far the most user-friendly
operating system. They tried porting that over to the Windows Phone
but unfortunately it didn't work out. Incidentally, my wife had a
Windows Phone and she loved it.
Windows is the geek/tech-friendly operating system because they have to
continually muck about so much to get anything to actually work.

MacOS is the user friendly operating system that suffers far fewer
issues. (Hence the old story about company tech departments not liking
Macs because it gave them nothing to do, potentially putting some out
of a job.)

For proof, see the install instructions for pretty much any printer (or
any other hardware add-on). The Windows instructions almost always take
up far more space and are more complicated than the MacOS instructions.
badgolferman
2024-04-30 22:22:23 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by badgolferman
Post by Andrew
[...]
It's obvious you haven't used Windows in quite some time. Printer
installations are Plug and Play these days.

At my job we have Windows, Linux and Macs. The IT guys are working on
Macs far more than Windows computers. They used to specialize in each
type OS, but now they've all had to learn Mac OS to keep up with the
need.
Your Name
2024-04-30 23:42:57 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Your Name
Post by badgolferman
Post by Andrew
[...]
Not according to the instruction sheets they aren't. Not to mention the
umeous issues people have getting them to work properly. :-)
need.
Harry S Robins
2024-05-01 05:55:17 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by badgolferman
Post by Your Name
For proof, see the install instructions for pretty much any printer
(or any other hardware add-on). The Windows instructions almost
always take up far more space and are more complicated than the MacOS
instructions.
It's obvious you haven't used Windows in quite some time. Printer
installations are Plug and Play these days.
Not according to the instruction sheets they aren't. Not to mention the
umeous issues people have getting them to work properly. :-)
Maybe you haven't used the Windows in ten or twenty years perhaps?

I haven't had problems installing printer drivers on Windows lately.

It's all plug and play nowadays.
Alan
2024-05-01 00:33:32 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Your Name
Post by badgolferman
Post by Andrew
[...]
When they work properly.
Post by badgolferman
At my job we have Windows, Linux and Macs. The IT guys are working on
Macs far more than Windows computers.
Bullshit.
need.
Bill Powell
2024-05-01 05:52:09 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by badgolferman
As far as I'm concerned, Windows is by far the most user-friendly
operating system. They tried porting that over to the Windows Phone
but unfortunately it didn't work out. Incidentally, my wife had a
Windows Phone and she loved it.
Windows is the geek/tech-friendly operating system because they have to
continually muck about so much to get anything to actually work.
MacOS is the user friendly operating system that suffers far fewer
issues. (Hence the old story about company tech departments not liking
Macs because it gave them nothing to do, potentially putting some out
of a job.)
For proof, see the install instructions for pretty much any printer (or
any other hardware add-on). The Windows instructions almost always take
up far more space and are more complicated than the MacOS instructions.
That's not proof of anything since it's an incorrect statement.
Installing printer drivers on _any_ desktop platform is trivial.
All install the driver the moment they sense the printer on the network.
Your Name
2024-05-01 06:04:29 UTC
Post by Bill Powell
Post by Your Name
Post by badgolferman
[...]
Oh dear, here we go again. :-\

I was talking about the instruction sheet that comes in the box (or in
the online manual these days) for setting up a new printer - the
Windows instructions are almost always a lot longer than the MacOS
instructions, even excluding if they try to deal with multiple versions
of Windows.
Jörg Lorenz
2024-05-01 06:26:37 UTC
Post by Your Name
I was talking about the instruction sheet that comes in the box (or in
the online manual these days) for setting up a new printer - the
Windows instructions are almost always a lot longer than the MacOS
instructions, even excluding if they try to deal with multiple versions
of Windows.
I never ever used an "Instruction Sheet" for a Mac or Linux.

Windows is the standard of the last century. They made never noticeable
progress with this messy OS.
--
"Alea iacta est." (Julius Caesar)