charging port
Add Reply
badgolferman
2024-04-27 17:00:13 UTC
The charging port on my iPhone 14 has gone bad already. I’ve tried several
cords including Apple ones and they don’t work. I was forced to go to
Walmart last night at 10:30pm and get a wireless charger.

Of course the warranty has ended and I don’t have Apple Care, but I used
Apple’s service app to find an authorized service center near me and make
an appointment for Monday, rather than the Genius Bar which is 30+ miles
away.

This is the second time this has happened to me. My iPhone 13 failed for
the same reason, which is why I upgraded to the iPhone 14. In the meantime
I have a work issued iPhone 11 that uses the same exact cord for charging
and is still going strong all these years.
Chris in Makati
2024-04-28 07:11:39 UTC
On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 17:00:13 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman
The charging port on my iPhone 14 has gone bad already. I’ve tried several
cords including Apple ones and they don’t work. I was forced to go to
Walmart last night at 10:30pm and get a wireless charger.
Of course the warranty has ended and I don’t have Apple Care, but I used
Apple’s service app to find an authorized service center near me and make
an appointment for Monday, rather than the Genius Bar which is 30+ miles
away.
This is the second time this has happened to me. My iPhone 13 failed for
the same reason, which is why I upgraded to the iPhone 14. In the meantime
I have a work issued iPhone 11 that uses the same exact cord for charging
and is still going strong all these years.
My charging port has stopped working or worked intermittently a couple
of times. Both times it turned out to be a buildup of dust inside the
socket, probably due to me carrying the phone around in my pocket.

Using a combination of a watchmakers screwdriver and a pair of pointed
tweezers I was able to remove most of it and got it working again.
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-28 09:14:45 UTC
Post by badgolferman
[...]
This is again a typical "badgolferman-claim". Nothing but bullshit. In
our family with about 20-30 iPhones in the last 15 years we never
experienced a similar issue. I simply do not believe him one single word.
"Mille viae ducunt hominem per saecula Romam." (Alanus ab Insulis 1120-1202)
Blueshirt
2024-04-28 10:14:05 UTC
Post by badgolferman
[...]
FWIW, the charging port on my last iPhone did stop working. It
might have been caused by a dust build-up from my pocket too,
also I think I got water in it. As I had wireless charger at
home and in the car it wasn't a big deal. Plus it was four years
old and time to upgrade to the iPhone 15 anyway. But it does
happen. Although I would assume the charging port doesn't stop
working for no reason!
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-28 10:51:11 UTC
Post by Blueshirt
FWIW, the charging port on my last iPhone did stop working. It
might have been caused by a dust build-up from my pocket too,
also I think I got water in it.
You definitely left the operating envelope of the iPhone.
"Alea iacta est." (Julius Caesar)
badgolferman
2024-04-28 11:03:02 UTC
Post by Chris in Makati
[...]
I cleaned out the port best I could and blew air into it, but nothing
changed. The last phone I had was checked out at the Apple Store and they
told me the port was bad. Maybe they lied since Lorenz doesn’t believe me.

I don’t like the wireless charger because it makes the phone hot. Also I
need the port to work so I can use Google Maps when I go on motorcycle
trips. The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
Wilf
2024-04-28 13:19:58 UTC
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge. I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months. Oh well. And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
Wilf
Wilf
2024-04-28 13:21:06 UTC
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge. I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months. Oh well. And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
p.s. I'm waiting for someone to respond "no it isn't"
Wilf
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-28 13:52:49 UTC
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge. I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months. Oh well. And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
What is your question?
You simply mistreated the battery of your phone. Quite simple. My iPhone
14 is running 24/7 since I bought it in November 22. The battery
performance level is still 100% according to the device.
"Alea iacta est." (Julius Caesar)
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-28 13:56:41 UTC
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge. I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months. Oh well. And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
What is your question?
You simply mistreated the battery of your phone. Quite simple. My iPhone
14 is running 24/7 since I bought it in November 22. The battery
performance level is still 100% according to the device.
The SE2020 of my wife bought summer 21 stands at 86% and is still
delivering one whole working day with heavy use.
"Alea iacta est." (Julius Caesar)
Wilf
2024-04-28 14:48:22 UTC
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge. I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months. Oh well. And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
What is your question?
You simply mistreated the battery of your phone. Quite simple. My iPhone
14 is running 24/7 since I bought it in November 22. The battery
performance level is still 100% according to the device.
The SE2020 of my wife bought summer 21 stands at 86% and is still
delivering one whole working day with heavy use.
You are obviously a caring and wonderful family. My congratulations.
Wilf
Wilf
2024-04-28 14:47:50 UTC
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge. I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months. Oh well. And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
What is your question?
You simply mistreated the battery of your phone. Quite simple. My iPhone
14 is running 24/7 since I bought it in November 22. The battery
performance level is still 100% according to the device.
Whatever. You're treatment of your iPhone must be legendary. But
honestly, you just can't be civil, can you?
Wilf
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-28 15:02:20 UTC
Post by Wilf
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge. I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months. Oh well. And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
What is your question?
You simply mistreated the battery of your phone. Quite simple. My iPhone
14 is running 24/7 since I bought it in November 22. The battery
performance level is still 100% according to the device.
Whatever. You're treatment of your iPhone must be legendary. But
honestly, you just can't be civil, can you?
What is your question, Wilf? Or do you join the Apple-bashers like the
OP who is really ridiculous figure given he uses iPhones for years and
is permanently whining and bashing Apple.

Grown up people buy something else and shut up.
"Mille viae ducunt hominem per saecula Romam." (Alanus ab Insulis 1120-1202)
Wilf
2024-04-28 15:22:03 UTC
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
[...]
Oh dear. Apple-bashers". That is pathetic. I'm asking a simple
question - shall I spell it out for you?

W h at a m I d o i n g w r o n g w i t h my i P h o n e f o r i
t s b a t t e r y t o h a v e
d e t e r i o r a t e d i n s u c h a s h o r t t i m e ? C o u l
d i t b e d u e t o n i g h t l y w i r e l e s s c h a r g i n g?

By the way, I've never had a non-Apple smart phone. But you just go on
with your ridiculous ad hominem insults as they obviously make you feel
like a big, big man.
Wilf
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-28 15:34:40 UTC
Post by Wilf
Oh dear. Apple-bashers". That is pathetic. I'm asking a simple
question - shall I spell it out for you?
W h at a m I d o i n g w r o n g w i t h my i P h o n e f o r i
t s b a t t e r y t o h a v e
d e t e r i o r a t e d i n s u c h a s h o r t t i m e ? C o u l
d i t b e d u e t o n i g h t l y w i r e l e s s c h a r g i n g?
Very probable! Wireless charging kills phone batteries because it is so
inefficient that it heats up the battery to not so healthy temps. And
since you bought it roughly 500 times. And do not discharge the phone
until it turns itself off and do not leave it on the charger longer than
necessary and do not let it lay around in the sun or a hot car.
Post by Wilf
By the way, I've never had a non-Apple smart phone. But you just go on
with your ridiculous ad hominem insults as they obviously make you feel
like a big, big man.
Poor boy. And stop whining.
"Alea iacta est." (Julius Caesar)
Wilf
2024-04-28 15:48:35 UTC
Post by Wilf
By the way, I've never had a non-Apple smart phone. But you just go on
with your ridiculous ad hominem insults as they obviously make you feel
like a big, big man.
Poor boy. And stop whining.
As I say. A big man. QED. Maybe go on stage with that comedy patter?
Wilf
Tyrone
2024-04-28 15:38:39 UTC
Post by Wilf
Oh dear. Apple-bashers". That is pathetic. I'm asking a simple
question - shall I spell it out for you?
W h at a m I d o i n g w r o n g w i t h my i P h o n e f o r i
t s b a t t e r y t o h a v e
d e t e r i o r a t e d i n s u c h a s h o r t t i m e ? C o u l
d i t b e d u e t o n i g h t l y w i r e l e s s c h a r g i n g?
It sits on a "wireless" charger every night? I would say yes, that is killing
it. Heat.

I have an 8 Plus (6.5 years old) that is at 99%. Granted it does not get much
use these days. My work-issued 12 Pro Max (3.5 years old and sees lots of
use) is at 91%.

I don't charge them daily. I charge them when they get down to around 50%. I
use iPad chargers since it charges faster.

Personally I would never use "wireless" charging.
Wilf
2024-04-28 15:50:33 UTC
Post by Tyrone
Post by Wilf
Oh dear. Apple-bashers". That is pathetic. I'm asking a simple
question - shall I spell it out for you?
W h at a m I d o i n g w r o n g w i t h my i P h o n e f o r i
t s b a t t e r y t o h a v e
d e t e r i o r a t e d i n s u c h a s h o r t t i m e ? C o u l
d i t b e d u e t o n i g h t l y w i r e l e s s c h a r g i n g?
It sits on a "wireless" charger every night? I would say yes, that is killing
it. Heat.
I have an 8 Plus (6.5 years old) that is at 99%. Granted it does not get much
use these days. My work-issued 12 Pro Max (3.5 years old and sees lots of
use) is at 91%.
I don't charge them daily. I charge them when they get down to around 50%. I
use iPad chargers since it charges faster.
Personally I would never use "wireless" charging.
Oh dear. I was taken in by the convenience of wireless charging,
perhaps. Thank you for your helpful reply.
Wilf
Alan Browne
2024-04-28 17:00:38 UTC
[...]
It's not as bad as he makes out. It is inefficient (20 - 25% loss), but
the heat generated is not all that bad. It's also (usually) slower to
charge wirelessly so there is a negative penalty there. And of you
don't have your phone in a case, then there's even less heat build up.

I avoid wireless charging more over the environmental reason than the
battery heating.

Of course with my Watch it's the only way to charge - but it's every
other night so not so bad.
--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”
- Charles de Gaulle.
Your Name
2024-04-28 21:38:06 UTC
Post by Tyrone
Post by Wilf
Oh dear. Apple-bashers". That is pathetic. I'm asking a simple
question - shall I spell it out for you?
W h at a m I d o i n g w r o n g w i t h my i P h o n e f o r i
t s b a t t e r y t o h a v e
d e t e r i o r a t e d i n s u c h a s h o r t t i m e ? C o u l
d i t b e d u e t o n i g h t l y w i r e l e s s c h a r g i n g?
It sits on a "wireless" charger every night? I would say yes, that is killing
it. Heat.
I have an 8 Plus (6.5 years old) that is at 99%. Granted it does not get much
use these days. My work-issued 12 Pro Max (3.5 years old and sees lots of
use) is at 91%.
I don't charge them daily. I charge them when they get down to around 50%. I
use iPad chargers since it charges faster.
Personally I would never use "wireless" charging.
Any kind of battery charging produces heat, although wirelessly may
well be worse do to be highly inefficient (which is going to be a
problem when Apple rumouredly stops using any port on their devices
leaving *only* wireless connections).
badgolferman
2024-04-28 16:41:21 UTC
Welcome to the Apple newsgroups.
Alan Browne
2024-04-28 16:51:52 UTC
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro,  purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge.  I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months.  Oh well.  And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
What is your question?
You simply mistreated the battery of your phone. Quite simple. My iPhone
14 is running 24/7 since I bought it in November 22. The battery
performance level is still 100% according to the device.
Whatever. You're treatment of your iPhone must be legendary.  But
honestly, you just can't be civil, can you?
In Jôrg's world it you don't behave, live, breathe, opine, work (and so
on) like him, you're doing it wrong.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Alan
In what particular was he UNcivil?
Chris
2024-04-28 22:21:51 UTC
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge. I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months. Oh well. And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
What is your question?
You simply mistreated the battery of your phone. Quite simple. My iPhone
14 is running 24/7 since I bought it in November 22. The battery
performance level is still 100% according to the device.
I call bullshit. No matter how well you treat a battery it *will* lose
capacity over time. In nearly 18 months of regular use the battery will
have lost at least a few percent.

My 13, bought in Mar 23, is at 95% and I know I don't abuse my phones.
badgolferman
2024-04-28 23:55:41 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
[...]
You don’t understand. Lorenz is perfect in every single way and his shit
don’t stink. He can’t be wrong…
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-29 05:20:41 UTC
Post by badgolferman
You don’t understand. Lorenz is perfect in every single way and his shit
don’t stink. He can’t be wrong…
I'm really sorry for you. I hope you get the professional help you need.
"Mille viae ducunt hominem per saecula Romam." (Alanus ab Insulis 1120-1202)
Jolly Roger
2024-04-29 03:58:00 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now
down to maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of
any charge. I must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18
months. Oh well. And I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical
"Arlen", and my battery really is down to 86%.
What is your question? You simply mistreated the battery of your
phone. Quite simple. My iPhone 14 is running 24/7 since I bought it
in November 22. The battery performance level is still 100% according
to the device.
I call bullshit. No matter how well you treat a battery it *will* lose
capacity over time. In nearly 18 months of regular use the battery
will have lost at least a few percent.
Batteries also don't age linearly due to fluctuations in the mass
production manufacturing process and differences in environmental
factors and usage patterns.

JR
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-29 05:10:10 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro, purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge. I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months. Oh well. And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
What is your question?
You simply mistreated the battery of your phone. Quite simple. My iPhone
14 is running 24/7 since I bought it in November 22. The battery
performance level is still 100% according to the device.
I call bullshit. No matter how well you treat a battery it *will* lose
capacity over time. In nearly 18 months of regular use the battery will
have lost at least a few percent.
100% are 100% and nothing we could discuss about. I usually charge it to
only 80% and recharge somewhere above 20%. The phone tells me when it
has reached 80% and again when it has reached 90%. It does the same at
20%. My iPhone has a German GUI it is called "Kurzbefehl" (Short Cuts?).
Very easy to program.
"Alea iacta est." (Julius Caesar)
Chris in Makati
2024-04-29 07:53:39 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by Wilf
Post by badgolferman
[...]
My iPhone SE bought in August last year is also at 95%, which I think
is reasonable.

I don't believe I abuse the battery in any way, but the phone
certainly gets used a lot during most of the working day. Maybe some
would consider that to be abuse, with the only right way to treat a
phone being to keep it untouched in a drawer. I'm sure mine would
still be at 100% if I did that.
Alan Browne
2024-04-28 14:01:12 UTC
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro,  purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge.  I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months.
iPhone 11 Pro. 4.5 years. 90%. Doesn't affect my daily use at all.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Wilf
2024-04-28 14:48:58 UTC
Post by Alan Browne
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro,  purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge.  I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months.
iPhone 11 Pro. 4.5 years. 90%. Doesn't affect my daily use at all.
Thanks. I must be doing something wrong. Like using it too much!
Wilf
Alan Browne
2024-04-28 16:56:08 UTC
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro,  purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge.  I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months.
iPhone 11 Pro.  4.5 years.   90%. Doesn't affect my daily use at all.
Thanks.  I must be doing something wrong.  Like using it too much!
It does come down to use cases. I can do 2 - 3 days per charge (esp
weekends), whereas I know a couple people who have to be near a charger
by 14:00 every day for a top up to make it through the workday and plug
into the car to top up on the way home (people who use the phone a lot).

If you regularly dip below 20% charge level (like daily), then that can
contribute a lot to faster wear of the battery. (Although it makes a
good case for 100% charge as the battery doesn't remain at that voltage
very long.

Leaving the phone in the car on hot/sunny days is a good way to abuse
the battery too ...
- Charles de Gaulle.
Chris
2024-04-28 15:53:39 UTC
Post by badgolferman
The battery is down to 88% already, but the tech told me Apple
doesn’t recommend changing the battery until it gets below 80%.
The battery in my iPhone 14 Pro,  purchased October 2022, is now down to
maximum capacity 86%, which severely limits the length of any charge.  I
must say that I'm surprised at this after only 18 months.  Oh well.  And
I'm not a troll, my name isn't the mythical "Arlen", and my battery
really is down to 86%.
Honestly, not being critical and agree with that sounds low for that age
of phone.

My nearly 5 yo XR is at low 80s and my 13 month old 13 is still at 95%,
but I don't push them hard.
Alan Browne
2024-04-28 13:58:19 UTC
Post by Chris in Makati
My charging port has stopped working or worked intermittently a couple
of times. Both times it turned out to be a buildup of dust inside the
socket, probably due to me carrying the phone around in my pocket.
Using a combination of a watchmakers screwdriver and a pair of pointed
tweezers I was able to remove most of it and got it working again.
I use a thin piece of paper board and alcohol to clean the port and
contacts. About 1 / year seems to do it. iPhone 11 - coming up on 5
years of good use this Dec. - will stretch it another year.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Alan
2024-04-29 01:35:52 UTC
Post by badgolferman
[...]
The rubberized tooth cleaning picks...

Work excellently.
Jolly Roger
2024-04-29 04:00:10 UTC
Post by badgolferman
[...]
I've been using one of these for years to clean Lightning and USB-C
charging ports, and it's been great at it:

<https://www.pureport.net>

I'm almost always surprised by how much lint and dirt comes out of them.

JR
Alan
Nice! Seems a little pricey, but still.
Jolly Roger
2024-04-29 14:37:04 UTC
Post by Alan
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by badgolferman
[...]
I think you can find Chinese rip-offs cheaper on Amazon etc.

JR