phone won’t ring
Add Reply
badgolferman
2023-10-06 19:33:34 UTC
If I’m doing something on my phone and a call comes in it won’t ring. The
contact’s picture pops up on my screen but no ring tone. Yet a text message
will make the alert sound. Is this by design? Am I missing a setting
somewhere?

iPhone 14 / iOS 16.7
Ant
2023-10-08 00:44:37 UTC
IIRC, if iPhone sees your face it won't ring loudly.
--
"Who among the gods is like you, O Lord? Who is like you--majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders?" --Exodus 15:11. --Romans 5:1-2. Dang old bodies, allergies (>3.5 wks. so far), upgrades, reboots, bugs, heat, brokeness, oldness, issues, delays, out(r)ages, etc.
| |o o| |
( )
*Hemidactylus*
2023-10-10 01:56:54 UTC
Post by Ant
IIRC, if iPhone sees your face it won't ring loudly.
I’ve noticed when my alarm sounds in the morning that if I pick my phone up
towards me instead of the blind “STFU I’m hungover!” tap the alarm volume
has gone down a bit. I guess that is by design then. Interesting.
iPhone 14 / iOS 16.7
sms
2023-10-09 19:35:02 UTC
Post by badgolferman
If I’m doing something on my phone and a call comes in it won’t ring. The
contact’s picture pops up on my screen but no ring tone. Yet a text message
will make the alert sound. Is this by design? Am I missing a setting
somewhere?
iPhone 14 / iOS 16.7
Things to check:

1. Make sure DND is not on (Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb). But
since you’re getting alerts for texts this is unlikely. Why on earth
they moved DND under "Focus" is unknown!

2. Make sure that you have not silenced unknown callers.

3. Make sure that you have assigned a ringtone (Settings > Sounds &
Haptics > Ringtone)

4. Make sure that Ringer and Alerts is not off or set too low.

If it's not any of those (and of course the Ring/Silent switch is in the
proper position) then a trip to the Genius Bar is warranted.
--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards
Tyrone
2024-04-25 03:17:38 UTC
On Oct 6, 2023 at 3:33:34 PM EDT, "badgolferman"
Post by badgolferman
If I’m doing something on my phone and a call comes in it won’t ring. The
contact’s picture pops up on my screen but no ring tone. Yet a text message
will make the alert sound. Is this by design? Am I missing a setting
somewhere?
iPhone 14 / iOS 16.7
This is normal, and is a setting. I did a search for "will an iPhone ring if
you are holding it" and found this:

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253804827?sortBy=best>

Quote:

"Why doesn't my iphone ring audibly when i'm holding it. When i'm holding my
iPhone in my hand I can see an incoming call and whose calling but my phone
doesn't actually ring. Is this normal?"

Answer:

"Yes this is normal when you are directly looking at your iPhone. Actually,
the iPhone does ring at a low volume when you are holding your iPhone and
looking directly at it.
This is part of the Attention Aware Feature of the iPhone. When the iPhone has
your attention while you are looking at the screen (typing, reading websites
or working with an app), then it automatically reduces the sound because it
knows you are looking right at it so no need to issue loud notifications.

You can turn this feature off if you want by opening Settings ➔ Accessibility
➔ Face ID & Attention ➔ Attention Aware Feature set this to OFF."