Does Apple Store censor critical app ratings?
Add Reply
Cameo
2024-05-01 03:47:21 UTC
I have a hard time seeing and reading the user comments of some apps in the
App Store. The stars are there with the number of ratings, but the user
comments ara not. I know that I also left comments on an app that I use,
but could not find them appear published in the App Store. This would be
very rare for Android apps in the Play Store. What gives?
Andrew
2024-05-01 05:21:23 UTC
Post by Cameo
I have a hard time seeing and reading the user comments of some apps in the
App Store. The stars are there with the number of ratings, but the user
comments ara not. I know that I also left comments on an app that I use,
but could not find them appear published in the App Store. This would be
very rare for Android apps in the Play Store. What gives?
Looking it up, you might be interested in these developer discussions.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/46178
https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/87035
https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/87439
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/43398
https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/82728

Maybe you can summarize what the developers in the above threads found out.
Cameo
2024-05-01 15:31:47 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Cameo
I have a hard time seeing and reading the user comments of some apps in the
App Store. The stars are there with the number of ratings, but the user
comments ara not. I know that I also left comments on an app that I use,
but could not find them appear published in the App Store. This would be
very rare for Android apps in the Play Store. What gives?
Looking it up, you might be interested in these developer discussions.
https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/46178
https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/87035
https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/87439
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/43398
https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/82728
Maybe you can summarize what the developers in the above threads found out.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. According to these links, a new app
update wipes out old comments, though my own comments were made only days
ago and the last app version update was a month ago. So there is more at
work here than the links state. As I said, this is not done by Google on
their Play Store.
badgolferman
2024-05-03 01:48:34 UTC
Post by Cameo
I have a hard time seeing and reading the user comments of some apps
in the App Store. The stars are there with the number of ratings, but
the user comments ara not. I know that I also left comments on an app
that I use, but could not find them appear published in the App
Store. This would be very rare for Android apps in the Play Store.
What gives?
I'm not doubting your claim, but I'd like to see an example of what you
describe. I have seen plenty of 1 and 2 star reviews of apps.
Cameo
It’s hard to show something that’s no longer there.
badgolferman
2024-05-04 10:18:48 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
I have a hard time seeing and reading the user comments of some apps
in the App Store. The stars are there with the number of ratings, but
the user comments ara not. I know that I also left comments on an app
that I use, but could not find them appear published in the App
Store. This would be very rare for Android apps in the Play Store.
What gives?
I'm not doubting your claim, but I'd like to see an example of what you
describe. I have seen plenty of 1 and 2 star reviews of apps.
It’s hard to show something that’s no longer there.
You can’t post a link to the app you were looking at that has 1 star but
doesn’t have negative feedback?
Cameo
2024-05-04 13:36:49 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
I have a hard time seeing and reading the user comments of some apps
in the App Store. The stars are there with the number of ratings, but
the user comments ara not. I know that I also left comments on an app
that I use, but could not find them appear published in the App
Store. This would be very rare for Android apps in the Play Store.
What gives?
I'm not doubting your claim, but I'd like to see an example of what you
describe. I have seen plenty of 1 and 2 star reviews of apps.
It’s hard to show something that’s no longer there.
You can’t post a link to the app you were looking at that has 1 star but
doesn’t have negative feedback?
Check out the DDPAI app in the AppStore. It is an app for the DDPAI Mini5
dashcam that displays and controls the video from the small, but very
capable dashcam via direct WiFi. The cam itself has no display. The app has
a 4-star rating wih supposedly only two respondents. It had that many
before I posted my negative review more than a week ago, and it is still
not showing up there as none of the others. So, as I said before, why
should anybody bother to take time for a feedback? This was not the case
with Google PlayStore.
badgolferman
2024-05-04 14:44:19 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
[...]
When I look at DDPAI by vYou Technology, I see a 1.7 star rating with
215 reviews. Then I can sort by the most critical and see the worst
comments.

Is this the same one?
Cameo
2024-05-04 15:44:53 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
[...]
There is only one DDPAI app there, but several with the Dride designation.
The one DDPAI app is at its 8.0 version and 279.1 MB size. The developer is
the same. It has 4.0 rating but none of the ratings are posted. I have no
idea where you get the 1.7 star rating with 215 reviews. I wish more of the
regulars checked out that app and help me with this. As I mentioned before,
I am a new convert to iOS, starting with iPhone 15 Pro Max.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-04 16:13:18 UTC
Post by Cameo
There is only one DDPAI app there, but several with the Dride designation.
The one DDPAI app is at its 8.0 version and 279.1 MB size. The developer is
the same. It has 4.0 rating but none of the ratings are posted. I have no
idea where you get the 1.7 star rating with 215 reviews. I wish more of the
regulars checked out that app and help me with this. As I mentioned before,
I am a new convert to iOS, starting with iPhone 15 Pro Max.
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657>

Actually:

It's 269.1 MB in size.
<https://ibb.co/XxqX1YG>

It has a very low 1.7 star rating.
<https://ibb.co/tCwkM1N>

It has many reviews.
<https://ibb.co/N29FDg9>

JR
Alan Browne
2024-05-04 17:29:15 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Cameo
There is only one DDPAI app there, but several with the Dride designation.
The one DDPAI app is at its 8.0 version and 279.1 MB size. The developer is
the same. It has 4.0 rating but none of the ratings are posted. I have no
idea where you get the 1.7 star rating with 215 reviews. I wish more of the
regulars checked out that app and help me with this. As I mentioned before,
I am a new convert to iOS, starting with iPhone 15 Pro Max.
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657>
It's 269.1 MB in size.
<https://ibb.co/XxqX1YG>
It has a very low 1.7 star rating.
<https://ibb.co/tCwkM1N>
It has many reviews.
<https://ibb.co/N29FDg9>
Beat mw to it - not sure what he's is on about.
--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”
- Charles de Gaulle.
Alan Browne
2024-05-04 14:53:27 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
[...]
Point of clarification: did you actually download the app from the Apple
App Store to your Apple device using your AppleID - and used that same
AppleID account to post your rating/review?
- Charles de Gaulle.
Cameo
Sure I did.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-04 16:05:16 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
[...]
Not sure what you are looking at, but the DDPAI app has a low 1.7 star
rating, and many reviews (I stopped counting after 50) are available to
read:

<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657>

JR
Cameo
2024-05-04 19:24:18 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
[...]
This is what I have:

https://ibb.co/47TVRQd

https://ibb.co/3pJykf1
badgolferman
2024-05-04 20:13:40 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Not sure what you are looking at, but the DDPAI app has a low 1.7
star rating, and many reviews (I stopped counting after 50) are
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657>
https://ibb.co/47TVRQd
https://ibb.co/3pJykf1
I see the same thing Jolly Roger sees, which is unusual because we
rarely see anything similarly. Something is wrong with your App Store
experience.
Alan
Or with his personal integrity.
Cameo
Whose personal integrity are you referring to?
badgolferman
2024-05-04 22:08:22 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Not sure what you are looking at, but the DDPAI app has a low 1.7
star rating, and many reviews (I stopped counting after 50) are
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657>
https://ibb.co/47TVRQd
https://ibb.co/3pJykf1
I see the same thing Jolly Roger sees, which is unusual because we
rarely see anything similarly. Something is wrong with your App Store
experience.
Or with his personal integrity.
Whose personal integrity are you referring to?
He’s clearly calling you a liar. That’s what he does to most everyone else
too.

Back to the App Store thing…are you able to look at it with a different
device? If so it would be interesting to see what happens then.
Cameo
I don’t have another Apple device. Can I do that from a Windows PC?
Hank Rogers
2024-05-04 23:28:03 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Not sure what you are looking at, but the DDPAI app has a low 1.7
star rating, and many reviews (I stopped counting after 50) are
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657>
https://ibb.co/47TVRQd
https://ibb.co/3pJykf1
I see the same thing Jolly Roger sees, which is unusual because we
rarely see anything similarly. Something is wrong with your App Store
experience.
Or with his personal integrity.
Whose personal integrity are you referring to?
He’s clearly calling you a liar. That’s what he does to most everyone else
too.
Back to the App Store thing…are you able to look at it with a different
device? If so it would be interesting to see what happens then.
I don’t have another Apple device. Can I do that from a Windows PC?
When it comes to apple stuff, you can't do ANYTHING with a PC. You'll need
to buy a Mac to get the full walled garden experience.
Alan
2024-05-04 23:44:45 UTC
Post by Hank Rogers
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
Why would you EXPECT to be able to access an app store...

...that only provides apps for Apple devices...

...on anything EXCEPT and Apple device?
Hank Rogers
Exactly.
Harry S Robins
Um.... because every other operating system allows it, that's why.
Alan
There's hardly enough sample size to look at it sensibly.
Chris
2024-05-05 22:26:23 UTC
Post by Harry S Robins
Post by Hank Rogers
Post by Alan
Why would you EXPECT to be able to access an app store...
...that only provides apps for Apple devices...
...on anything EXCEPT and Apple device?
Exactly.
Um.... because every other operating system allows it, that's why.
Does it? Does the Windows app store allow the installation of ios apps or
linux apps (apart from the hack to get WSL working)?
Harry S Robins
2024-05-06 08:43:40 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Harry S Robins
Post by Hank Rogers
Post by Alan
Why would you EXPECT to be able to access an app store...
...that only provides apps for Apple devices...
...on anything EXCEPT and Apple device?
Exactly.
Um.... because every other operating system allows it, that's why.
Does it? Does the Windows app store allow the installation of ios apps or
linux apps (apart from the hack to get WSL working)?
While almost nobody uses the Windows store (since it only contains crap)...

It's only iOS that doesn't allow it where it's clear why Apple limits you
to only the App Store that Apple gets a cut of every file downloaded, and
Apple inserts your unique AppleID into every app you download from it.

Nobody else does that.
Just Apple.

Windows has always allowed you to install anything you want from anywhere
you want and then you can save that installer file and re-use it on any PC.

Everyone does that.
Except Apple.

Notice there are two things Windows allows that you probably didn't see.
1. Any app exe can be downloaded from anywhere on any platform, and
2. You can install that app on any Windows PC in the world.

Neither of which does iOS allow.

Same thing with Android.
1. Any app APK can be downloaded from anywhere on any platform, and
2. You can install that app on any Android phone in the world.

With Apple's iOS you can't do number 1.
And you can't do number 2.

That's pretty limiting, wouldn't you say?

You really have to ask yourself why is it only iOS that doesn't allow you
to do what every other operating system allows you to do and always has.
Your Name
2024-05-06 22:21:03 UTC
Post by Harry S Robins
Post by Chris
Post by Harry S Robins
Post by Hank Rogers
Post by Alan
[...]
And despite all these so-called "problems", the iPhone is still the
most wanted smartphone and sells by the millions with every model
release.

The reality is nobody gives a flying crap, except a few loud-mouthed
whiners (some of them simply developers too greedy to pay Apple while
still wanting to be on the Apple App Store).

If you don't like it, then just buy an Android phone! Nobody is forcing
you to use an iPhone nor post in this newsgroup.
Cameo
2024-05-06 22:33:03 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Harry S Robins
Post by Chris
Post by Harry S Robins
Post by Hank Rogers
Post by Alan
[...]
I think iPhone’s major allure is its prestige status. That does not mean
that otherwise it is worse than Android phones, just that it became a
status symbol. A good deal of credit for that goes to great PR.
Alan
2024-05-06 22:37:48 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Your Name
Post by Harry S Robins
Post by Chris
Post by Harry S Robins
Post by Hank Rogers
Post by Alan
[...]
Prestige might get you the first sale...

...but people stick with the iPhone because it works well for them.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-06 23:53:20 UTC
Post by Cameo
I think iPhone’s major allure is its prestige status.
You think wrong.

JR
Cameo
2024-05-07 04:15:09 UTC
Because?
Jolly Roger
2024-05-07 04:56:32 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Cameo
I think iPhone’s major allure is its prestige status.
You think wrong.
Because?
Look up: Burden of proof.

JR
badgolferman
2024-05-07 09:59:11 UTC
Among the Blue Bubble group it sure is!
Jolly Roger
2024-05-07 15:19:50 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
I think iPhone’s major allure is its prestige status. That does not
mean that otherwise it is worse than Android phones, just that it
became a status symbol. A good deal of credit for that goes to great
PR.
Among the Blue Bubble group it sure is!
There you go again blabbing about "Blue Bubbles". You trolls are more
butt hurt about that than any iPhone user.

JR
badgolferman
2024-05-07 17:17:24 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
I think iPhone’s major allure is its prestige status. That does not
mean that otherwise it is worse than Android phones, just that it
became a status symbol. A good deal of credit for that goes to great
PR.
Among the Blue Bubble group it sure is!
There you go again blabbing about "Blue Bubbles". You trolls are more
butt hurt about that than any iPhone user.
You sound like the butt hurt one around here. You’re so uptight and easily
offended that you can’t take a joke.
Alan
He doesn't sound the least bit "butt hurt" about it.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-08 02:13:28 UTC
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
I think iPhone’s major allure is its prestige status. That does
not mean that otherwise it is worse than Android phones, just that
it became a status symbol. A good deal of credit for that goes to
great PR.
Among the Blue Bubble group it sure is!
There you go again blabbing about "Blue Bubbles". You trolls are
more butt hurt about that than any iPhone user.
You sound like the butt hurt one around here. You’re so uptight and
easily offended that you can’t take a joke.
He doesn't sound the least bit "butt hurt" about it.
I'm not. In fact, I find it comical that the people you most often see
bitching and moaning about bubble colors and iPhone colors are the butt
hurt trolls who literally spend all of their time trying their best to
disrupt normal conversation here - all while claiming they are the "true
victims" when the rest of us call them out on it. 🤣 It's as if they
actually think people don't see right through their weak trolls.

JR
Jolly Roger
2024-05-08 02:10:54 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
I think iPhone’s major allure is its prestige status. That does not
mean that otherwise it is worse than Android phones, just that it
became a status symbol. A good deal of credit for that goes to
great PR.
Among the Blue Bubble group it sure is!
There you go again blabbing about "Blue Bubbles". You trolls are more
butt hurt about that than any iPhone user.
You sound like the butt hurt one
Another "No, you" response. Just weak.

JR
Alan Browne
2024-05-07 12:24:30 UTC
Post by Cameo
I think iPhone’s major allure is its prestige status. That does not mean
that otherwise it is worse than Android phones, just that it became a
status symbol. A good deal of credit for that goes to great PR.
A good deal of credit goes to they are fully featured, high quality,
superbly integrated (within and amongst other Apple devices and non
Apple devices, the web, messaging, etc.).
- Charles de Gaulle.
badgolferman
2024-05-05 02:07:12 UTC
Post by Alan
Post by Hank Rogers
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
Why not? Maybe you want to see if the App Store carries certain apps you
want in case you decide to switch over to an iPhone.
Alan
You can use the App Store preview on the web.
Bugsy
2024-05-05 20:35:45 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Alan
Post by Hank Rogers
When it comes to apple stuff, you can't do ANYTHING with a PC. You'll
need to buy a Mac to get the full walled garden experience.
Why would you EXPECT to be able to access an app store...
...that only provides apps for Apple devices...
...on anything EXCEPT and Apple device?
Why not? Maybe you want to see if the App Store carries certain apps you
want in case you decide to switch over to an iPhone.
Agree with you that you should be able to do whatever you want to do.

For example, you can easily download any Android app from Windows and
install it from Windows onto Android, and vice versa - you can download any
Windows app on Android (or Linux or whatever) and install it on Windows.

Why do you think it's only iOS that can't do what every other OS does?
--
Please wear your mask!
Bugs are everywhere. :)
/'..''..'\
badgolferman
It's for my protection! At least that's what I'm told...
Alan
2024-05-05 21:31:32 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Bugsy
Post by badgolferman
Post by Alan
Post by Hank Rogers
When it comes to apple stuff, you can't do ANYTHING with a PC.
You'll need to buy a Mac to get the full walled garden
experience.
Why would you EXPECT to be able to access an app store...
...that only provides apps for Apple devices...
...on anything EXCEPT and Apple device?
Why not? Maybe you want to see if the App Store carries certain
apps you want in case you decide to switch over to an iPhone.
Agree with you that you should be able to do whatever you want to do.
For example, you can easily download any Android app from Windows and
install it from Windows onto Android, and vice versa - you can
download any Windows app on Android (or Linux or whatever) and
install it on Windows.
Why do you think it's only iOS that can't do what every other OS does?
It's for my protection! At least that's what I'm told...
And so it is.

It's not perfect, but one of the reasons the iPhone became so successful
is that people had to worry less about getting malware...

...and that the App Store made the whole process so easy.
Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
badgolferman
2024-05-05 22:27:42 UTC
Is this true?
Cameo
2024-05-05 22:58:05 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
Is this true?
I bought my Android phone with version 7, and ot got updated to 8 an 9.
That’s it. Of course the apps keep updated even till now.
I’ve seen some news recently that Google decided to prolong the OS updates
a bit more, but it is too late for me.
There are some critical apps for me that required min. version of 10.
Alan
2024-05-05 23:07:06 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
Is this true?
I have an Apple iPhone 8.

When it was released in September 2017, it ran iOS 11.

And I'm currently running iOS 16.7.2 (and shortly will update to 16.7.7)...

...and it is only now after the release of iOS 17 that I won't be
getting OS upgrades anymore.

So it's received 5 major OS upgrades.
Chris
2024-05-06 05:49:31 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
Is this true?
Which bit? Apple does fully support its phones for 4-5 years which means at
least 4 OS upgrades and then some security updates for several years after
that.

Google has upped its game recently and, I believe, 7 years of support for
new pixels. Not sure if that's OS upgrades as well or just security
updates.
Andrew
2024-05-06 08:32:14 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
Is this true?
Which bit? Apple does fully support its phones for 4-5 years which means at
least 4 OS upgrades and then some security updates for several years after
that.
Google has upped its game recently and, I believe, 7 years of support for
new pixels. Not sure if that's OS upgrades as well or just security
updates.
It's no longer shocking how ignorant all the Apple religious nutcases are.
Don't believe a word from these ignorant Apple nutcase religious zealots.

Chris just spouted complete bullshit.
Which is easily refuted by the facts.

Not only are these Apple religious nutcase zealots completely ignorant of
how iOS updates, but they're all so far to the left of the first
Dunning-Kruger quartile, that they're on Mount Stupid - because of their
extreme confidence in their utter ignorance.

I feel sorry for people like Cameo, Chris, Alan Baker, Jolly Roger, et al.,
because their whole lives they've been told they were stupid - but here -
on an Apple religious zealot nutcase newsgroup - they can spout bullshit.

The fact is Apple was forced to admit last year that they never once, in
their entire history, fully patched more than just one release per
platform. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/deployment/depc4c80847a/web

That means only a single iOS release is supported, currently iOS 17.
And only a single macOS release is fully supported.

Like every manufacturer, when the bugs are so grievous that people would be
throwing their iPhones over the next bridge, Apple does sporadic patches.

But even Apple says if your phone doesn't run iOS 17, it's vulnerable as
Apple will not and does not and has never fully patched anything more than
a single release for iOS and a single release for macOS.
Chris
2024-05-06 15:10:08 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Chris
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
Is this true?
Which bit? Apple does fully support its phones for 4-5 years which means at
least 4 OS upgrades and then some security updates for several years after
that.
Google has upped its game recently and, I believe, 7 years of support for
new pixels. Not sure if that's OS upgrades as well or just security
updates.
It's no longer shocking how ignorant all the Apple religious nutcases are.
Don't believe a word from these ignorant Apple nutcase religious zealots.
Chris just spouted complete bullshit.
Which is easily refuted by the facts.
You've refuted nothing. How does anything you claim contradict what I wrote?
Post by Andrew
The fact is Apple was forced to admit last year that they never once, in
their entire history, fully patched more than just one release per
platform. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/deployment/depc4c80847a/web
That means only a single iOS release is supported, currently iOS 17.
And only a single macOS release is fully supported.
Facts are a pain aren't they? See below:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

You'll see that there have been six times this year alone when more than
one release of iOS or macOS has been updated at the same time: 22nd Jan
(macOS 12/13/14 & iOS 15/16/17), 5th Mar (iOS 15/16/17), 7th Mar (macOS
12/13/14), 21st Mar (iOS 16/17), 25th Mar (macOS 13/14).

That's a bit awkward for you.

Note that iOS 15 supports back to iphone 6 which was released in 2015.
It launched with iOS 9 so has had *six* OS upgrades. Compare that to the
original Pixel (from 2016) which got only three years support and three
upgrades. Even the Pixel 5 which is less four years old is already not
getting anymore upgrades after only three upgrades and is stuck on
Android 14.

If someone wants a disposable phone, we know where to go don't we...
Alan
2024-05-06 18:03:40 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Chris
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
Is this true?
Which bit? Apple does fully support its phones for 4-5 years which means at
least 4 OS upgrades and then some security updates for several years after
that.
Google has upped its game recently and, I believe, 7 years of support for
new pixels. Not sure if that's OS upgrades as well or just security
updates.
It's no longer shocking how ignorant all the Apple religious nutcases are.
Don't believe a word from these ignorant Apple nutcase religious zealots.
Chris just spouted complete bullshit.
Which is easily refuted by the facts.
And yet you present none...
Post by Andrew
[...]
But none of that refutes what he said.

Apple supports its phones completely via supporting old iPhones through
4 or 5 (in my case, SIX) major OS releases.
Alan Browne
2024-05-06 14:52:22 UTC
Post by Chris
Which bit? Apple does fully support its phones for 4-5 years which means at
least 4 OS upgrades and then some security updates for several years after
that.
iOS 18 rumors point to iPhone 11 (Sept 2019) being supported, so a full
5 years after for the major release plus all the updates that go on for
about 6 months or so thereafter.

Remains to be proven, of course.

And of course Apple put out security updates for longer than that.
Post by Chris
Google has upped its game recently and, I believe, 7 years of support for
new pixels. Not sure if that's OS upgrades as well or just security
updates.
As I understand it it is system support - not just security.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Cameo
2024-05-06 15:36:55 UTC
Post by Chris
Google has upped its game recently and, I believe, 7 years of support for
new pixels. Not sure if that's OS upgrades as well or just security
updates.
As I understand it it is system support - not just security.
I think 5 years is reasonable. Not many people want to keep the same phone
longer than that anyway. Now that Google got to its senses about that, I
might return to Android after I get bored with my iPhone because so far I
don’t really see iOS being superior to Android.
Alan Browne
2024-05-06 17:28:38 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Chris
Google has upped its game recently and, I believe, 7 years of support for
new pixels. Not sure if that's OS upgrades as well or just security
updates.
As I understand it it is system support - not just security.
I think 5 years is reasonable.
My iPhone 11 will suit me for 6 years - maybe 7. TBD.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Bugsy
2024-05-06 08:24:09 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
Is this true?
It's a lie.

Apple only fully supports a _single_ release.
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/apple-clarifies-security-update-policy-only-the-latest-oses-are-fully-patched/>

Apple is the only OS maker that only fully supports a single release!
<https://hothardware.com/news/apple-admits-only-fully-patches-security-flaws-in-latest-os-releases>

Meanwhile every other operating system fully supports multiple releases.
Windows, in fact, fully supports two for something like a decade now.
Android fully supports EVERY release for a period of up to 5 to 7 years.

Yet Apple only fully supports a single release & never has done otherwise.
<https://screenrant.com/apple-product-security-update-lifespan/>

Why do you think it's only Apple that fully supports only a single release?
--
Please wear your mask!
Bugs are everywhere. :)
/'..''..'\
badgolferman
2024-05-06 10:16:30 UTC
Post by Bugsy
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
[...]
If you perform a full upgrade of your operating system you will receive all
the security updates dates for that new version. “No one” stays on the
original software version for the lifetime of the device.
Alan Browne
2024-05-06 15:00:07 UTC
Post by Bugsy
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
Is this true?
It's a lie.
Apple only fully supports a _single_ release.
You have severe reading comprehension issues.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-06 16:27:18 UTC
Post by Alan Browne
Post by Bugsy
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
And Apple does not abandon you after 2 major OS updates, like Google.
Is this true?
It's a lie.
Apple only fully supports a _single_ release.
You have severe reading comprehension issues.
Nah, he's just a liar and low-level troll.

JR
Alan Browne
2024-05-05 21:12:07 UTC
Post by Bugsy
Post by badgolferman
Post by Alan
Post by Hank Rogers
When it comes to apple stuff, you can't do ANYTHING with a PC. You'll
need to buy a Mac to get the full walled garden experience.
Why would you EXPECT to be able to access an app store...
...that only provides apps for Apple devices...
...on anything EXCEPT and Apple device?
Why not? Maybe you want to see if the App Store carries certain apps you
want in case you decide to switch over to an iPhone.
Agree with you that you should be able to do whatever you want to do.
For example, you can easily download any Android app from Windows and
install it from Windows onto Android, and vice versa - you can download any
Windows app on Android (or Linux or whatever) and install it on Windows.
Why do you think it's only iOS that can't do what every other OS does?
The paradigm that compiled, installable code should be able to be
plucked from anywhere on the web and installed w/o care has been the
root of malware propagation since the 1980's. It's never been a good
thing except for malware "providers".
- Charles de Gaulle.
Harry S Robins
2024-05-06 08:36:02 UTC
Post by Alan Browne
Post by Bugsy
Why do you think it's only iOS that can't do what every other OS does?
The paradigm that compiled, installable code should be able to be
plucked from anywhere on the web and installed w/o care has been the
root of malware propagation since the 1980's. It's never been a good
thing except for malware "providers".
And yet iOS is always listed as the most exploited smartphone in history.

https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog
Alan Browne
2024-05-06 15:01:11 UTC
Post by Harry S Robins
Post by Alan Browne
Post by Bugsy
Why do you think it's only iOS that can't do what every other OS does?
The paradigm that compiled, installable code should be able to be
plucked from anywhere on the web and installed w/o care has been the
root of malware propagation since the 1980's.  It's never been a good
thing except for malware "providers".
And yet iOS is always listed as the most exploited smartphone in history.
That page does not back up your fud claim.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-05 03:51:46 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Not sure what you are looking at, but the DDPAI app has a low 1.7
star rating, and many reviews (I stopped counting after 50) are
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657>
https://ibb.co/47TVRQd
https://ibb.co/3pJykf1
I see the same thing Jolly Roger sees, which is unusual because we
rarely see anything similarly. Something is wrong with your App Store
experience.
Or with his personal integrity.
Whose personal integrity are you referring to?
He’s clearly calling you a liar. That’s what he does to most everyone else
too.
Back to the App Store thing…are you able to look at it with a different
device? If so it would be interesting to see what happens then.
I don’t have another Apple device. Can I do that from a Windows PC?
Contrary to what the resident trolls want you to believe, nothing
inherently prevents non-Apple devices from seeing what's on the App
Store. For instance, the http://fnd.io website lets you view apps on
non-Apple devices. Go ahead and look it up for yourself.

JR
Andrew
2024-05-05 20:50:46 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Contrary to what the resident trolls want you to believe, nothing
inherently prevents non-Apple devices from seeing what's on the App
Store. For instance, the http://fnd.io website lets you view apps on
non-Apple devices. Go ahead and look it up for yourself.
Why do you brazenly lie by fabricating imaginary iOS functionality, JR?

Step 1: Find this app with http://fnd.io
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/im-here-zone/id1452495641?ls=1
https://www.fnd.io/#/us/ios-universal-app/1452495641-im-here-zone-by-syncit-group-doo-beograd

Guess what Step 2 is Jolly Roger.

Why is it that of all operating systems, only iOS can't do what every other
operating system has been doing since the dawn of computers, Jolly Roger?

Your own site proves the iPhone is nothing more than a dumb terminal hooked
into to Apple servers 24/7/365 just to do what every other OS easily does.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-05 21:50:34 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Jolly Roger
Contrary to what the resident trolls want you to believe, nothing
inherently prevents non-Apple devices from seeing what's on the App
Store. For instance, the http://fnd.io website lets you view apps on
non-Apple devices. Go ahead and look it up for yourself.
Why do you brazenly lie by fabricating imaginary iOS functionality, JR?
Nothing I wrote is a lie. The OP can see for themselves they can view
the app on any device through the http://fnd.io website, Arlen. Your
trolls are weak.

JR
Andrew
2024-05-06 08:52:59 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Nothing I wrote is a lie. The OP can see for themselves they can view
the app on any device through the http://fnd.io website
That web site does nothing, Jolly Roger, that a Google search can't do.

What's no longer shocking is you're so ignorant that you don't even know
how iOS works - and yet you're so far in Mount Stupid you think you can
install an app from that web site (or from any web site), Jolly Roger.

Every time you post you prove you are completely ignorant of how iOS works.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-06 16:28:42 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Jolly Roger
Nothing I wrote is a lie. The OP can see for themselves they can view
the app on any device through the http://fnd.io website
That web site does nothing, Jolly Roger, that a Google search can't do.
Irrelevant to the point that the OP can look up apps on other platforms.

Thanks for playing, Arlen. Yet again, your little weak troll went
nowhere.
Post by Andrew
Every time you post you prove you are completely ignorant of how iOS works.
Pure projection.

JR
Alan

That's just not so, Arlen.
Alan
2024-05-04 23:43:17 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Not sure what you are looking at, but the DDPAI app has a low 1.7
star rating, and many reviews (I stopped counting after 50) are
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657>
https://ibb.co/47TVRQd
https://ibb.co/3pJykf1
I see the same thing Jolly Roger sees, which is unusual because we
rarely see anything similarly. Something is wrong with your App Store
experience.
Or with his personal integrity.
Whose personal integrity are you referring to?
He’s clearly calling you a liar. That’s what he does to most everyone else
too.
Back to the App Store thing…are you able to look at it with a different
device? If so it would be interesting to see what happens then.
I was simply pointing out that there is another valid explanation for
why what Cameo sees isn't the same as what everyone else sees.

For the record, I see the app with 31 reviews and an overall rating of 1.5

It's currently showing version 8.0.5 and 277.7MB
Cameo
2024-05-05 01:30:14 UTC
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
It looks like we have a mystery at hand here. 🥸
Could the content differ due to geolocation?
Jolly Roger
2024-05-05 03:53:19 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
Possibly. What region are you in?

JR
Cameo
In Central Europe.
badgolferman
2024-05-05 10:46:03 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
In that case Lorenz could verify what you’re seeing, but since he doesn’t
have a helpful bone in his body I guess you’re out of luck. Try the link
Jolly Roger provided to see if your desktop PC can view it.
Chris
2024-05-05 13:19:46 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
In the UK I see 52 reviews and an overall rating of 1.8. Version 8.0.5 and
269.1MB
Cameo
2024-05-05 21:30:49 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
I have found it. Apparently the US web site has different content than
the non-US (global) sites.

Here is the US link I have found. It is version 8.0.5:

https://www.fnd.io/#/us/iphone-app/1139717657-ddpai-by-vyou-technology-co-ltd

Then I've found this. It is version 1.7:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657

Then, of course, there is the version I find on the AppStore on my phone.

Go and figure ...
badgolferman
2024-05-05 22:30:50 UTC
Post by Cameo
I have found it. Apparently the US web site has different content
than the non-US (global) sites.
https://www.fnd.io/#/us/iphone-app/1139717657-ddpai-by-vyou-technology-co-ltd
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddpai/id1139717657
Then, of course, there is the version I find on the AppStore on my phone.
Go and figure ...
The second link is the same version as the first link. You saw the
rating which is 1.7. The first link has no rating.
badgolferman
I call bullshit. Anyone can see exactly what you meant.
Alan
2024-05-05 03:16:25 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
Actually, the criticism was of you, sunshine:

"Something is wrong with your App Store experience."

That left no room for any other explanation.
badgolferman
You’re a terrible liar.
Alan
2024-05-05 17:19:39 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Alan
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]

I gave one additional possibility—I'll freely admit I think it's quite
likely—in order to point out to YOU that there were other possible
explanations.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-04 20:48:59 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
[...]
What model iPhone is this on, and what version of iOS is installed on
it?

JR
Cameo
iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS version 17.4.1.
Jolly Roger
2024-05-05 03:52:27 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Cameo
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by badgolferman
Post by Cameo
[...]
There's got to be something else you aren't telling us.

JR