phone won’t ring
Add Reply
badgolferman
2024-04-24 17:15:36 UTC
If I’m doing something on my phone and a call comes in it won’t ring. The
phone screen pops up and I can see the person calling, but it won’t ring.
I’ve looked in Settings > Phone and Notifications for a something but can’t
find anything.

Is this normal or is there a way you can make it ring?
News
Is the 'SILENT MODE' physical switch toggled?
badgolferman
No. And it rings fine when the phone is locked.
Jörg Lorenz
2024-04-24 20:06:08 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by News
Post by badgolferman
If I’m doing something on my phone and a call comes in it won’t ring. The
phone screen pops up and I can see the person calling, but it won’t ring.
I’ve looked in Settings > Phone and Notifications for a something but can’t
find anything.
Is this normal or is there a way you can make it ring?
Is the 'SILENT MODE' physical switch toggled?
No. And it rings fine when the phone is locked.
That works as intended. If the phone is unlocked it has your focus
already. The ringtone is redundant. That also appllies to iMsg and other
programs.
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)
Wilf
2024-04-25 07:59:38 UTC
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by badgolferman
Post by News
Post by badgolferman
If I’m doing something on my phone and a call comes in it won’t ring. The
phone screen pops up and I can see the person calling, but it won’t ring.
I’ve looked in Settings > Phone and Notifications for a something but can’t
find anything.
Is this normal or is there a way you can make it ring?
Is the 'SILENT MODE' physical switch toggled?
No. And it rings fine when the phone is locked.
That works as intended. If the phone is unlocked it has your focus
already. The ringtone is redundant. That also appllies to iMsg and other
programs.
I didn't know that and have noticed this behaviour too. Thank you.
Wilf
Jolly Roger
2024-04-25 15:30:14 UTC
Post by Wilf
Post by Jörg Lorenz
Post by badgolferman
Post by News
Post by badgolferman
If I’m doing something on my phone and a call comes in it won’t
ring. The phone screen pops up and I can see the person calling,
but it won’t ring. I’ve looked in Settings > Phone and
Notifications for a something but can’t find anything.
Is this normal or is there a way you can make it ring?
Is the 'SILENT MODE' physical switch toggled?
No. And it rings fine when the phone is locked.
That works as intended. If the phone is unlocked it has your focus
already. The ringtone is redundant. That also appllies to iMsg and
other programs.
I didn't know that and have noticed this behaviour too. Thank you.
It makes sense. I certainly wouldn't want my phone to ring loudly in
addition to displaying the call on-screen while I'm actively looking at
it - not much point in that.

JR
Chris
Turn off the "Awareness Features" under FaceID.
badgolferman
Thanks! I’ll try that and see what happens.
Cameo
2024-04-24 20:47:27 UTC
Post by badgolferman
If I’m doing something on my phone and a call comes in it won’t ring. The
phone screen pops up and I can see the person calling, but it won’t ring.
I’ve looked in Settings > Phone and Notifications for a something but can’t
find anything.
Is this normal or is there a way you can make it ring
My phone did this too after I bought it. Somebody here suggested that
maybe I pushed the action button which in factory setting cuts of rings.
Check the "If Action button is pressed during an incoming call" thread.
badgolferman
2024-04-24 20:54:10 UTC
Post by Cameo
Post by badgolferman
If I’m doing something on my phone and a call comes in it won’t
ring. The phone screen pops up and I can see the person calling,
but it won’t ring. I’ve looked in Settings > Phone and
Notifications for a something but can’t find anything.
Is this normal or is there a way you can make it ring
My phone did this too after I bought it. Somebody here suggested that
maybe I pushed the action button which in factory setting cuts of
rings. Check the "If Action button is pressed during an incoming
call" thread.
iPhone 14. Still have a real switch.